By quality food products
- Semiya (vermicelli) : 1 cup
- Sugar : ¾ cup
- Cardamom pods : 3-4
- Milk : 4 cups
- Ghee : 3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts : 12 to 15
- Raisins : 8 to 10
- Firstly add 1½ tablespoon ghee to a heavy bottom pot and heat up.
- Add 12 to 15 cashews and fry till golden.
- Then add in 8 to 10 sweet raisins and saute just until they plump up. Keep them aside for garnishing at the end.
- Now add the rest of the ghee and add Semiya to the same pan.
- Roast till slightly golden on a low to medium flame.
- Pour 4 cups milk to the pot. Let the milk boil on a low to medium flame.
- Boil till the vermicelli is fully soft cooked. Keep stirring to avoid burning.
- Add the sugar.
- Cook for 3 to 5 mins on a low flame until the Semiya payasam becomes thick.
- Crunch the cardamom pods and add them to the payasam.
- Turn off the stove when it reaches a thick pouring consistency.
- Garnish the Semiya payasam with fried nuts and raisins.